JazzBoston @ Newport
JazzBoston has teamed up with NPR jazz champion WBGO to offer a day-trip package to the 2013 Newport Jazz Festival on Saturday, August 3, and Sunday, August 4. Join other Boston jazz lovers on a comfortable chartered bus for the roughly 90-minute ride directly to the Festival’s front gate in Newport, RI, at a special price that’s hard to beat. If transportation logistics have kept you away in the past or you’re just ready to do it the easy way, this is the answer.
Package price and what's included
The full package price per person is $195. With the special JazzBoston discount, the price for our members and friends is $175. Get a group of four or more friends together, and you each pay only $155.
In addition to round-trip transportation on a private bus, your package includes one Adult General Admission ticket for the day (value $74 if purchased separately in advance, $84 if purchased during the festival) and a food and beverage voucher (value $20) for use at the Louis Jadot Café, located right on the festival grounds. And, of course, you save on gas, tolls, and the $15 Newport parking fee.
Trip details – Depart from Wally's
The combined hospitality of Wally's and JazzBoston will get your day off to a good start.
Your trip begins and ends at Wally's Jazz Café. The historic jazz nightclub and Boston landmark is located at 427 Massachusetts Avenue, near the corner of Columbus Avenue, and is easily accessible by T and bus. Take the Orange Line to the Mass. Ave. Station or the Green Line to the Symphony Station, and walk 1 - 2 blocks; or take the #1 bus to Columbus Ave. and cross the street.
Board the bus at 8:00 am, with coffee and a donut. Plan to arrive at Wally's at least 15 minutes ahead of time. The Wally’s family will open the doors at 7:30 am to welcome our group, and JazzBoston will provide coffee and donuts for you to enjoy while you wait or take with you onto the bus.
Enjoy the ride and a full day of great music. Bus amenities include wi-fi, reclining bucket seats, and a restroom. Relax and watch a special screening of the 1958 Newport documentary, Jazz on a Summer's Day. You will be dropped off at the festival gate with hours of extraordinary performances ahead of you and nothing to worry about except choosing which ones to hear.
Return to the festival gate when the music ends. The last concerts will finish at 7 pm, and the bus will depart for Boston shortly afterward.
Weekend lineup – Choose your day
HIghlights of the weekend music program (subject to change) are listed below. For more information about the 2013 lineup, the history of the Newport Jazz Festival, and its founder George Wein, see the festival website.
Saturday, August 3, 10:45 am – 7:00 pm
- Wayne Shorter's 80th Birthday Celebration:
Wayne Shorter Quartet featuring Danilo Pérez, John Patitucci, & Brian Blade plus special guest Herbie Hancock
- Esperanza Spalding – Radio Music Society
- Marcus Miller
- Michel Camilo Sextet
- Terence Blanchard Quintet
- Robert Glasper Experiment
- Gregory Porter
- Bill Charlap Trio with special guests Bob Wilber & Anat Cohen
- Edmar Castañeda
- Lew Tabackin Quartet with Randy Brecker, Peter Washington, & Lewis Nash
- Ray Anderson Pocket Brass Band, performing works made possible by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation
- Rez Abbasi Trio
- Amir ElSaffar Two Rivers, debuting commissioned work made possible by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation
- Mary Halvorson Quintet
- From Berklee College of Music: The Ali Amr Experiment
- RIMEA Senior All-State Jazz Ensemble, Dan Yoder, guest conductor
Sunday, August 4, 11 am – 6:45 pm
- Chick Corea & The Vigil with Christian McBride, Tim Garland, Marcus Gilmore, & Charles Altura
- Eddie Palmieri Salsa Orchestra
- Dizzy Gillespie™ Big Band under the direction of Paquito D'Rivera
- Hiromi: The Trio Project with Anthony Jackson & Steve Smith
- Joshua Redman Quartet
- Roy Haynes Fountain of Youth Band
- Steve Coleman Projects: Five Elements, Talea Ensemble and Duo with David Bryant
- Jim Hall Quartet with Scott Colley, Lewis Nash, and special guest Julian Lage
- Jon Batiste & Stay Human
- Dirty Dozen Brass Band
- Dee Alexander: "Songs That My Mother Loved"
- Donny McCaslin Group
- David Gilmore & Numerology featuring Claudia Acuña, Miguel Zenón, Luis Perdomo, Christian McBride, Jeff "Tain" Watts & Mino Cinelu
- MMEA All-State Jazz Band, Steve Houghton, conductor
- URI Newport Jazz Festival Big Band, Dr. Jared Sims and John Monllos, directors
Reserve your place now
WBGO Travel is handling reservations and payment for the 2013 Newport Jazz Festival package. To make your reservation online, click here. You can also reserve by calling 973-624-8880 x269 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To get the special JazzBoston members and friends price of $175 per person, be sure to fill in or mention the discount code JAZZBOSTON. Also, since the station is offering packages from New York as well as Boston, please indicate clearly that you are interested in the Boston package. To get the $155-per-person group price, please reserve by phone.
Established as a nonprofit organization in 1979, WBGO is regarded as a leader within public radio because of its ground-breaking work in community and volunteer involvement, special events, and the presentation of jazz. Today it is the only full-time jazz station in the New York Metro area, streaming worldwide at wbgo.org. For Bostonians, it’s particularly interesting to note that WBGO has successfully combined its ongoing mission to preserve the uniquely American art form of jazz with award-winning news reporting.